The King is Back: interview with Parov Stelar
On 3rd November, we had a talk with Parov Stelar, the most known Electro-Swing producer. His works are defining by ten years the spirit of this genre, and inspiring new artists to come into the scene. Waiting for the next album, we asked some information about the last Ep, “La Fete”, and tried to explore the musical thought behind the real King of this style. Thanks to the press office and to Parov for the availability.
- When did start Parov Stelar’s passion for music? And how this became what we call “electro-swing?
Electroswing was defenitely an accident – I always loved these old crackelin tunes of the 30´s 15 years ago I produced minimal and techno tunes…So why not blending them. Also Mr Scruff’s “Get A Move On ” inspired me.
- How can you define electronic career as producer in this years? Specifically, how’s to manage your job as producer and manager of Etage Noir, in these “web-piracy” days?
On the one hand it’s easier to spread your music with the web – but it’s also easier to produce music – so everybody has a “studio” at home. That means that we are confronted with tons of music – and the secret is: how can i make my music visible….not easy. The web piracy is a problem -of course….but our true fans want a cd or a legal download….i think positive – people are changing their mind.
- What,in your opinion, is the best way to promote Electro-Swing from its niche? Studio album, compilation or live exhibition?
Honestly, i don’t know. I am not just in Electro-Swing. I produce so many other tracks as well – lets say my style is to mix different styles with new influences.
- La Fete Ep sounds faster and “club-oriented”, compared to your past works: can this be a good foretaste about your next album?
The next album will be a double album such as “COCO”. Cd 1 is the listening part and cd2 is the danceable Parov Stelar style. I love to compose radio tunes, tunes for your daily life and emotions – but from time to time i need a big bang – then i start with a pumpin bassdrum – strictly for to the floor ;_)
- Do you see some young and talented producers on Electro-Swing scene today? Who do you like most?
At the moment we are negotiating with two talented acts to be signed at Etage Noir recordings. I can’t give you the names at this moment, but believe, there are some new cats on the road….and they are hot!
- With no doubt, you’re one of the best known artists of this genre: is there a secret, behind your worldwide success? And if this is true, in what it consists?
My secret is to be honest in the things I do. It’s my passion and purpose to create songs…And of course you need patience.
You can find the Italian version here